For many men, the birth of their first child is a truly life-changing event. First-Time Father: The essential guide for the new dad provides fathers with the answers and options to enable them to design a rewarding and effective fatherhood journey.
It seems that what new fathers are wanting has continued to change over the last five years. In this revised edition of First-ime Father, the authors Dr Graeme Russell and Tony White (who both work extensively with new fathers) show that contemporary men want to:
- have a strong and enduring relationship with their children;
- be actively involved in the day-to-day care of their children;
- share the parenting and paid work equally with their partner;
- take extended leave from paid work to be the primary caregiver for a period of time; and
- reduce their hours of work (for example, to part-time) to behighly involved in caring for their child.